Wednesday, July 2, 2008

Recipe Wednesday #10

While looking for a recipe this week I found a sheet printed from a computer printer which was a recipe printed from a website. The recipe is printed on the page below a brief story explaining the circumstances behind the recipe, very similar to what I do here on this blog. Instead of simply giving you a recipe, I try to give you the story behind the recipe. Rather than simply reprint the recipe directly into my blog post I thought it might be interesting to simply add a link and let you follow the links to get the recipe. (As I was typing the website into my browser I'm thinking how similar this is to one of my brothers new blog sites, Links 2 Oblivion. I believe the title makes it self evident about what the site is about so I won't explain that here. You may follow that link to learn more about Web Oblivion!) Now, back to the recipe story. . . I was completely surprised when the web page came up in my browser window. What I saw was the entry page into an Adults Only website. I quickly checked back to the the recipe page and I checked the web address I had typed into my browser. I even opened a different browser to see what would happen with the site in another browser. Oh yes, the same results. I looked again at the page I had with the printed recipe. I had typed the web site into my browser correctly but, the date was printed at the bottom of the page. It was somewhat difficult to read since the printer settings had cut it off partially because it was printing near the margin. I could just make out what appears to be the date, 10/30/00. That made this original site almost 8 years old. Knowing that things may change quickly on the internet, I figured that someone else must have acquired that URL Address. Boy, what a shock for moms with their kids who may be innocently searching for a cookie recipe! Not to be undone by this shocking glitch, I tried a different approch to see if I could find this recipe at a link for you to follow. Success! As I reread the introductory paragraph on the recipe page I noted that the recipe stemmed from an Urban Legend. (Again, I won't go into that story here. Maybe my brother will do that in his new blog.) I tried a search using the words "urban legend cookies" and I found what I was looking for:

^
Please follow the link above for the recipe and the story. I believe you and your family will enjoy the cookies from the recipe, as well as the story about them. Incidentally, the recipe sheet I have simply titles them as "Legendary Cookies" and a brief story about the urban legend. Enjoy!

No comments: